Friday, November 14, 2008

Homemade haircuts

Note: We're constantly trying to stretch a dollar farther at our house so I thought I'd start sharing some of the ways we do accomplish that.

I just finished giving the boys haircuts and since boys need a trim at least once a month, I figure I've saved at least $2000 over the years. Scared to death to do your own kids' haircuts? Here's a few tips to help you out:

The next time you take them to the salon for a cut, watch carefully how the stylist cuts their hair. After a couple of trips to observe, you'll probably be ready to do a cut on your own.

Buy a set of clippers, a beard trimmer (to trim sideburns and the base of the neck), a good pair of scissors, and a cape. You'll probably spend about $40 up front but after 4 haircuts you've recovered you're investment. If your boys like the longer styles, you probably could get by with just a pair of scissors.

For your first try, just cut 1/4 inch. This will build your confidence and keep you from cutting too short. There may be books in your local library to give you some guidance also.

I used to cut the girls' hair also, but as they've gotten older that's gotten more difficult. We've all opted for longer layered cuts that don't require a salon trip very often. I still trim all of our bangs here at home to help us go longer between cuts. I also color my own hair and will share some pointers for that another day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could you just publish this and all the upcoming for me? I just felt the need to take notes but it's a little hard when I'm feeding three mouths (mine plus two babies) :) It's a good thing that David is still bald so this info can wait a little while. I'm excited about the upcoming installments.