Thursday, June 28, 2007

Habakkuk and the Presidential Elections

Most people don't roll over, hit the snooze button, and think "Hey, I'm going to read Habakkuk today for my quiet time." Quite honestly, I wouldn't have read it either if it hadn't been part of my Sunday School class' study of the minor prophets. Just to give you an overview--Habakkuk begins with a complaint to God about the Israelites and their disregard for God's statutes. God basically says, "Don't worry about it. I've got this all under control. I'm going to use the Babylonians to come in and take care of things." He actually says He's "raising up" the Babylonians to be a powerful nation for His purposes. Sounds a little strange if you know anything about that group of people. Habakkuk then says, "Whoa, wait a minute God. You're going to use the most unrighteous of all peoples to solve this problem with your own people?" God then reassures Habakkuk that He's using them for His plan but He will administer justice on the Babylonians before it's all said and done. The book of Habakkuk ends with the prophet's prayer acknowledging the awesomeness of God and praising Him no matter what happens.

v.18 :yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Saviour.

Now, I'm honestly trying not to pay attention to the presidential elections yet, because quite frankly, it's way too early to be thinking about an election that's more than a year away. I do know enough though to know that so far there is not a strong Christian candidate. For now, in the party where the Christians usually emerge, we have a Mormon and someone who says he's against abortion but doesn't have the backbone to do anything about it, as the front runners. I'm still praying that God will raise up a mighty leader who will make decisions based on God's principles. But, if He doesn't, Habakkuk reminds me that God is in control of all people, not just the ones who serve Him. He has a plan and it will be carried out no matter who holds our country's top office. We may need to remind ourselves of this fact in the days to come.

No comments: