Saturday, June 23, 2007

Personal Trainers, Zoo Animals and Thunderstorms

You may be wondering how all of those things are related. Nathan and I encountered them all on our special day out without the other kids. While Zac, Kate and Alyssa are off at camp and Kevin and Steve were out playing golf; I seized the moment to have some special time with Nate which doesn't happen very often at our house.

We were blessed with a membership to a local health club by one of our church members and it included three sessions with a personal trainer. I met with Sara last week for my fitness age test. You do some basic fitness tests to determine your body's age despite the number of actual birthdays you've had. At the risk of a slight bit of embarrassment, I'll share my scores with you. Flexibility--18, Body Composition--20, Strength--24, and Cardio--80 Obviously, I need to get busy exercising and get my heart pumping so I don't keel over before my next birthday which is just 3 weeks away. So, our day started with my next session with Sara. She educated me on how to use all the machines in the gym and designed a one hour workout for me. Did you know they have exercise bikes with tv's built in? I might actually be able to stay on that one for more than 5 minutes without getting bored.

Next, we were on to the zoo--our first trip to the one in our new town so we weren't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. It's on the smaller side but beautifully landscaped and all the habitats are very nice. Unlike most zoo trips where the animals are all sleeping, most were moving around and it was fun to see them in action as opposed to looking like a stuffed animal. It was a hit with Nathan since they had a train and a carousel. He also enjoyed the elephant show where one of the elephants played a harmonica. No kidding!

Unfortunately, some ominous clouds and thunder and lightning cut our trip short. We were the last 2 people allowed to get on the train at the back of the zoo and got to the front quickly enough to make it to the van before the downpour hit. But, we still had a great time on our "date" and enjoyed our time together.

No comments: