Monday, September 17, 2007

Blessings Amid Frustrations

My mom got to spend the weekend with us. After the kids not seeing for her for almost a year, we were all excited about her visit. We picked her up from the airport Friday morning and headed to the zoo. It was the perfect day for it since the high was only 75. We saw the cutest baby chimps which I couldn't take pictures of because I discovered after arriving at the zoo that my camera batteries were dead.

After church on Sunday I wanted us to go to a nice dinner out. Kevin was going to be leaving that afternoon for Colorado and with my mom here, I had visions of a wonderful family meal before everyone went their separate ways. I really wanted to go to my new favorite restaurant, The Elephant Bar, although our eating out budget was more along the lines of McDonalds. We all agreed to have water to drink and no appetizers to keep the costs down. Our service was extremely slow and the kitchen staff messed up our orders which they caught before they delivered the plates to our table. It took almost an hour for us to get our food. I tend to have the attitude of "If I'm not getting what I'm paying for, I need to speak up against the injustice." Kevin could see my feathers were getting ruffled and reminded me to give them grace--so difficult for me. Shortly after we were finally served our lunch, the manager came over to apologize for the delay and gave us our lunch for free! Just another example of how God can use difficult and disappointing situations for our good and bless us in the process. I know in the big scheme of things, a delayed lunch is small scale. But, if we're in the habit of looking for God working in the little things, I think it's easier to see Him working in the tougher, more difficult things.

No comments: