Friday, September 28, 2007

Hut! Hut!

I just got home from my first high school football game in our new town. Actually, I haven't been to a high school game in at least a couple of decades. The last live football game I was at was either my college alma mater or the Cowboys--I can't seem to remember which was the latest but either way, it's been a while.

This game had the same familiar atmosphere and smells as I remember way back in my high school days--the popcorn that band parents are working hard to sell, the bands from the opposing teams attempting to outplay each other in the stands, the incredible number of turnovers that seem to occur in every high school game. I also found it funny that the songs the bands played were the same as 20 years ago. Hasn't anyone written anything new in the last decade to outshine "Eye of the Tiger" and "Louie, Louie"? It was fun to see some familiar faces from church in the crowds and cheer for their kids.

Our town's band is the current national champion for marching bands--I'm sure there is an official title for that honor, but I don't know what it is. Being a former band nerd, I was anxious to see their halftime show. It was quite impressive and I was glad for their sakes that the styles of band uniforms have changed quite a bit, but they still had to wear those lovely hats with the feather plumes sticking out of the top. Just the boys went with us and we had a good time. Although the next time we're planning to go to a game, I will not go to the gym and work out beforehand. Climbing bleacher steps after doing lots of leg presses and squats is not a pleasant experience!

No comments: