Friday, June 6, 2008

Cellular stress, part 2

I have been inundated with incorrect phone calls--everything from confirming dr. appt's to wanting to set up my a/c maintenance,and no one will answer my calls because they don't know it's me. I sent everyone my new number but apparently they didn't go to the trouble to program it into their phones. So I call, leave a voice mail, then they call me back after they think to check their voice mail. Really annoying, but not as annoying as this conversation today:
Me: Hello
girl: Is this Susan?
Me: No, you have the wrong number.
girl: Are you sure?
Me: Yes, I know what my name is and it is not Susan.
girl: Well, the last time I called this number there was a Susan there. This is very suspicious.
Me: I've only had this phone number for 2 weeks and I can promise you I am not Susan.

Then I hung up because I did not see the point in continuing the conversation. See? That almost anxiety attack in the Sprint store was sooo justified. By the way, if you get a call from a 918 area code and don't know who it is, just answer the freakin' phone; it's probably me!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

i can honestly say i always answer the phone even when i don't know who is calling. i have had the same conversation with people trying to explain i am not who they think i should be. for example...and this was totally in turkish...

first a text on my phone.
them: we are here. when are you coming?
i ignored it.
them: are you coming to the beach or not?
me (deciding i should let them know they have the wrong number...texting them back): you have the wrong number. i just wanted you to know your friend isn't getting your texts.)
them (calling me this time): when are you coming? we have been waiting on you.
me: um...you have the wrong number.
them: why aren't you coming?
me: i am a foreigner. i live in ankara...nowhere close to the beach.
them: so you're not coming?
me: no...sorry i can't make it.
them: ok but you're missing out.
me: ok then. bye.

seriously. i would have loved to have gone to the beach, but i would have had a good 5 hour drive at least to get to the closest one and this was at 11 at night. i'm sure my new friends were so disappointed in me.

Sharon said...

Makes you wonder if they were playing a joke or so drunk they didn't know what they were doing. A while back I had a guy call and wanting Jennifer. I told him he had the wrong number and he read my number off to me. Apparently, while out on the town the night before, "jennifer" if that's her real name, gave this guy the wrong phone number on purpose.

Anonymous said...

I'm willing to bet that "Jennifer" just transposed the last two digits of her phone number. It's the best trick ever. Just don't tell any boys! We don't want them in on the secret.