Friday, March 20, 2009

My hometown

We're in Arkansas in the town Kevin and I grew up in. It's one of those towns where directions to anywhere contains the phrase, 'You know where the old such and such used to be..' To which I reply, 'No I haven't lived here in 20 years.' For the most part, everything looks the same as it did in high school.

We are here for Kevin to officiate the wedding of a family friend. I'd met the bride once before when she was about 6. Coming home is always interesting. One of Kevin's ex's is the wedding coordinator. The rehearsal dinner was held in a home that used to belong to a family I babysat for. I practically lived at this house every weekend for 4 years and even had my own room. Now, going back 25 years later, I expected the interior to be completely different. It wasn't. Same wallpaper, same curtains, same appliances, even the furniture seemed to be arranged the same way. Something about small towns makes everything freeze in time.

No comments: