Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Arkansas Adventures and Mexico Missions

Kevin returned from Mexico on Saturday evening. He made a 4 hour drive to Tuscon, then flew to Dallas where his flight was canceled due to engine trouble. He was able to get on another flight, but his luggage didn't. Fortunately, he got a call from the airport on Sunday morning letting him know his luggage had made it on the morning flight.

The team had a good week. There were 20-9th and 10th graders along with 7 (I think) adult sponsors. The daytime was spent painting our church's training center/dormitory and preparing for the evening activities. They ministered in the town square with drama, puppet shows, and face painting; and Roberto, the pastor of our church plant, presented the gospel every evening. They faced a lot of opposition from the catholic church so you can continue to pray that these people who are steeped in tradition will be able to accept the truth of the gospel.

Kevin also had the opportunity to preach at a prison on Sunday evening where 10 of the 20 prisoners who attended the service accepted Christ!

While Kevin was gone, I decided to take the kids to Arkansas to see our family there. We had a good trip, although it was tiring. I haven't driven to that area in a while, and I was reminded how thankful I am for major highways. 2 hours of our trip was on a 2 lane highway that was under construction and the whole experience did not bring out the best in my character. I don't seem to have a lot of patience when it comes to being stuck behind a concrete mixer going 40 mph.

Many of you have been praying for my dad's physical and spiritual health in the last few months. He is currently in a nursing home and doing some better. He is constantly battling infections, mostly due to the fact that he has no liver function now. I am so thankful that God has sustained him long enough for me to see him again. I was able to check him out and take him to lunch which he was very excited about. I couldn't seem to make the words come out of my mouth to witness to him as this has been an area of tension with us for over 20 years. But, I did write him a letter, basically outlining a simple plan of salvation and expressing my desire to see him again in heaven because I couldn't bear the thought of the alternative. I talked to him on the phone yesterday and he says he agrees with everything I wrote and I don't have to worry about it. I can't say that I'm overly convinced that he is a Christian, but I have to trust that I've done my part to lead him to my Heavenly Father and leave the rest up to the Holy Spirit. Please continue to pray for God to work in his heart and for us to have wisdom as to how to handle his care.

Here are some pictures from our trip with some of our family plus a few extras.

No comments: