Sunday, December 2, 2007

A Cheater's Thanksgiving

I cheated and ordered our Thanksgiving dinner from a caterer. Kevin spent the first part of the week in Baton Rouge with Steve playing golf. I knew I was going to be by myself with the kids for the week and that we had several appointments on Wednesday and really didn't think I would have time to cook. I've never been a big fan of one person having to cook for 2 days so that everyone can devour all your hard work in 20 min. To me a holiday means getting to be lazy and read a book or watch cheesy hallmark movies. Not once did I second guess my decision to "cheat", especially since Kevin didn't make it back at his scheduled time Wed. night. His original flight was cancelled due to weather. Thankfully he was able to get on Steve's flight Thursday morning and they made it here Thurs. right at lunch time. And for the record, this will make the 4th trip in a row that Kevin has arrived at the airport without his luggage accompanying him on the flight. I did redeem myself a little by making the famous Grandma Maybelle Mac n cheese and two chocolate meringue pies that didn't last till Friday.

Friday morning, after hitting a few sales, Kevin and I left for Beaver Lake for the rest of the weekend. A family in our church offered us their lakehouse for the weekend. It was so nice just to relax and not worry about a schedule of any kind for a few days. We spent Sat. in Eureka Springs, enjoying the scenery and doing a little Christmas shopping. We're hoping we'll have the opportunity to go as a family this summer to the lakehouse again. It has plenty of room, complete with a pool table and Ms. Pac Man video game on which I have the current high score. Here's our view from the deck.

No comments: