Monday, March 3, 2008

Wedding Shower Do-overs

Some friends and I were talking recently about how we think we should get another wedding shower around our 15th or 20th anniversary since all the stuff we originally received is worn out by then. This would work out well for me since I'll be celebrating my 18th this summer. I think I've purchased 10 irons, 4 griddles, 6 crockpots, 3 blenders, and an unimaginable number of glasses since my wedding day.

This conversation then led me to think about what I still own from my original wedding gifts. I decided to ignore the 6 china plates, 3 cups and saucers, and various serving platters since they're only used sporadically. Actually, I never use my wedding china because I only have 6 plates. I have 6 people in my family so if I have guests, I don't have enough. And if I don't have guests, what's the point?

Anyway, the only things I could come up with were the country blue Rubbermaid silverware tray that still has the bright green Walmart price sticker on it(remember when stores actually used price tags??), a Corningware casserole dish--the french country design with the little basket of flowers, and a set of sheets that Katie uses on her bed because they've been washed so many times they're super soft. That's it. Nothing else from hundreds of wedding gifts that I was so excited about and spent hours writing thank you notes for. I think it's much more monumental to stay married for 18 years than just to get married. Anyone over the age of 18 can do that. Shouldn't I be rewarded for my commitment with another shower? I'll be waiting for my gifts in the mail around July 14. (Just kidding!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm voting for one every ten years which means I am overdue!

Natalie said...

i agree with catherine. although i do have quite a few things from my wedding showers and gifts. even in turkey i have the silverware we got. i think the mixing bowls, pots and pans, plates, and crockpot we had when we were back for 7 months were all originally mine as well. (we eat out a lot...so maybe that's why i haven't worn them out yet!)

Sharon said...

Maybe my problem is the fact that once my children reach the age of 5, they start taking turns unloading the dishwasher. Most of my crockpot maladies have come from broken lids or bowls. They also keep eating more. I really need a new one now, just so I can get a bigger one that will hold more.