Thursday, August 14, 2008


(artwork by Nathan)
Our family has become obsessed with watching the 'olipycs' every night. I don't remember ever being glued to the tv before during the olipycs, at least not like this. I remember the monumental moments like everyone else--Kristi Yamaguchi winning gold, Keri Strug vaulting on a hurt ankle, etc.. But for some reason this year, we are captivated by it, rendered helpless to accomplish anything else. Maybe it's the record setting gold medals being won by Michael Phelps or maybe it's because we can watch it as a family. I do know it's the reason:
a)My house is still not unpacked even though Katie's 12th birthday party is here tomorrow night.
b)I've been slackinoff in front of the tv instead of here.
c)School lesson plans aren't done yet. My last box of books showed up yesterday, finally, so I think I'm going to let that be my excuse--sounds better than 'I was an olipyc couch potato.'

We've had some fun family moments while watching. There was much discussion on what the outfits the men's gymnastics team wears are called. Kevin said they looked like a onesie; Alyssa has officially dubbed it a "mantard".

We DVR each nights' broadcast. We start watching around 8 so we can fast forward through commercials or things we don't want to watch like men in speedos or beach volleyball. Unfortunately, the kids think it's big fun to rewind when someone falls and even though it really is devastating to that athlete, it becomes quite funny when you replay it over and over and over again. Are we terrible or what? I'll console myself with the knowledge that the Olympian will never know we were entertained by their mistakes.

I must go unpack 6 boxes of china in the dining room now so that I can be mesmerized by the women's gymnastics all-around tonight, guilt-free.

No comments: