Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Parent Teacher Conferences

I had my first "real" parent-teacher conference today. In years past, this involved talking to myself, but today I met with 2 of Zac's new teachers. After hearing his praises for half an hour, I began to wonder what happens to my child from the time he walks out our front door and into the school. Such phrases as "He's my star student, He's the most organized student I have, He always know where everything is, and He's doing great" were not really what I was expecting when I walked into the school cafeteria. I also had a lengthy discussion with his language and lit teacher about how wonderful he's doing in her class and how he really should move up to the honor's class at semester break. This is the same child who last year could not come up with a coherent answer for a comprehension question and who we threw a party for if he missed just 3 spelling words on his weekly spelling test. I can remember having the same "are you sure we're talking about the same child" feeling in his younger years when his Sunday school teachers would praise him and call him their little angel. In reality, this was all good news and confirmation that a little accountability is a good thing and that he is in the right place.

I did find it rather funny that both teachers I talked with made comments about how they never would have known Zac had been homeschooled exclusively till now because he didn't act withdrawn, he isn't a social outcast and wasn't behind. Those are common stereotypes in the p.s. world and I'm glad we dispelled them all. I was also encouraged that our years at home developed an independent learner who has transitioned well to his new school without any challenges. Today was one of those rare moments where I felt compelled to give myself a pat on the back as I walked out of the school, but more so I was proud of Zac for acting out all of the things I tried to teach him at home--respect, responsibility, and doing his best.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

I completely understand. I remember thinking that we were going to have a time with Jacob when he went to school. I thought his silliness at home would be amplified when he had an audience. All of his notes home were singing his praises about being the most liked kid in the class, so helpful, staying on task, a real leader, and so on. I kept thinking that surely they weren't talking about my Jacob, but since he is the only one in the class it had to be true. I tried to tell his first grade teacher that he was a clown at home, and she didn't believe me. Every teacher since that first grade teacher has said the same things, and I can see in his committment to do homework and study that he knows when he needs to get serious. Praise the Lord! Who would have ever thought? Certainly not me!

Glad Zac is doing well!

Anonymous said...

I think you should have a teacher conference with yourself at a spa as soon a possible to celebrate all of the good work you have obviously done! Glad to hear that God has indeed put Zach in the right place.

Anonymous said...

I think you should have a teacher conference with yourself at a spa as soon a possible to celebrate all of the good work you have obviously done! Glad to hear that God has indeed put Zach in the right place.

Anonymous said...

I have been thankful after many parent teacher meetings that Chad knows when to turn it on and turn it off! We have had a chuckle to ourselves many times realizing they really are talking about our child!