Friday, October 12, 2007

What I learned about life from my Grandfather

Today would have been my grandfather's birthday. It's amazing how much I still miss him even though he's been gone over 4 years. Several months ago,I saw someone from behind that resembled him so much--broad shoulders,white tank shirt, suspenders, bald head--that my breath caught in my throat and tears filled my eyes. During my adult married years, our visits together were sporadic but still special. He is a part of so many of my childhood memories and life lessons learned.

When I was in second grade, my grandparents moved to the same town I lived in. This began our weekly (if not more often) visits and the "grades contract". Papaw made a deal with me that he would pay me $5 for every A, $4 for a B, nothing for C's, and if I dared get a D or F, I owed him money. This agreement was in writing and kept under the stack of Reader's Digests on the lamp table beside his coveted chair. Every report card I received netted me a sizable amount of money which allowed me the opportunity to learn lessons on saving, spending wisely, and the joy of buying gifts for others. I also learned the discipline and joy of tithing. I can never remember struggling with whether or not to give to God, thanking him for what He has blessed me with because I began doing it at such a young age. This contract continued until I graduated from high school and helped me develop the habit of always doing my best and valuing the opportunity to learn.

I spent a lot of time fishing with Papaw, sometimes with Mammaw, sometimes just us. I do suspect that he brought me along on occasion just so he could legally bring in more fish, but I am quite proud that I have personally caught 25 fish in a day. When Kevin was allowed the privilege of joining our fishing trips, he decided Papaw's infamous trolling method was cheating, but he didn't seem to mind too much at dinner time. I loved our fishing trips together. I was proud to put my own worm or cricket on the hook, I learned to enjoy the outdoors, and I felt special to be included in Papaw's favorite past time.

Another of Papaw's hobbies was flying. For a small town girl who had never even been to a "real" airport, this was big stuff. He would pick me up on Saturday or Sunday afternoons and we would head to the small airport in the next town. Most of the time we would just take the tiny 4-seater airplane for a short 30 or 45 minute flight, but sometimes we would fly to see our relatives for the day, which by car took about 6 hours. It amazed me that we could get there so quickly. It never occurred to me to be scared and I think my desire to travel and experience new places may have been birthed in that little plane as my Papaw let me pretend I was flying.

When I graduated high school, my grandfather gave me (drumroll)......Tires! I thought it was the dumbest gift ever, but I realized several years later that it was because he was concerned for my safety driving to and from college that he outfitted my baby blue 1978 Malibu with new treads at Otasco, of course.

I am not blinded by my admiration for Papaw to know that he didn't have faults, like giving you advice for whatever you were struggling with whether you asked for it or not. But, the majority of what he did, he did out of love for his family and thought he was doing the best thing for them at the time. I'm so thankful for the promise I have that I will be reunited with him again someday.

No comments: