Monday, October 15, 2007

Safely home and other stuff

Kevin made it safely home, on schedule, Saturday morning. Between our family and the other wives plus a few of their grandkids, we looked like we were welcoming the troops home from war. One of the other guys took all the cameras with him to compile everything on one CD so I still have not seen any pictures nor do I have any to post. I hope he's quick with this task or I may have to start sending him reminder emails. I'm not sure I can be very patient.

Our day started bright and early this morning with an 8:00 appt. with an orthopedist. Through the years, we have watched many of Alyssa's dance friends hobble around on crutches or wearing braces of some sort, but have been blessed that she has never been injured, until now. Her leg started hurting her several weeks ago. We assumed she had stretched or pulled something so she's been applying ice and wrapping it regularly but it is worse, not better. The orthopedist thinks it may be a stress fracture which doesn't show up on regular xrays--something new I learned today. She's scheduled for a bone scan on Wednesday morning which requires some type of dye to be injected, then we have to come back a few hours later for the actual scan. I've never even heard of such a thing before today so it will be interesting to see how all this is done. Unfortunately, it takes another week to get the results so we won't know anything until our next appt. on the 25th. Alyssa is under orders for no dancing until diagnosis and she'll have to sit out for 8 weeks if it is fractured. I think the last time she went 8 weeks without dancing, she was in Kindergarten.

Kevin and I decided we need to go on a weekend getaway. We never really got to celebrate our anniversary and we feel like we've been on "schedule overload" since we began preparing on our move in February. Problem is, we can't decide where we want to go. It has to be somewhere that doesn't require a passport since I don't have mine yet. (I'm going this week to apply though!) We've been to Washington D.C., NYC, San Francisco, and Boston. If you have any wonderful ideas about where we could escape to for a few days, please leave us a comment. (In case you don't know how, just click on the "comments" button at the bottom of the post. You don't need to log in, just choose "anonymous" and you can type your name in the actual comment.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple of my favorite get aways-Virginia and Maine. I've also heard Philedelphia is a great weeknd venue. I'm a little jealous of a get away, keep me informed on what you decide!

Liz said...

I had the same bone scan when I was about Aly's age (except I had to go to the Camden Hospital for mine - eewww!) It's not too bad, the worst part is waiting for the results. I'm praying for good news because I think your sanity might be at stake if there's no dancing for 8 weeks!

Liz said...

I had the same bone scan when I was about Aly's age (except I had to go to the Camden hospital - eewww!) It's really not too bad. The worst part is waiting for results. I'm praying for good news because I think your sanity might be at stake with 8 weeks of no dancing!

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to go to Savannah, Georgia

Love,
Caren

Sharon said...

Liz, I think you're right. She drives me crazy just over Christmas break every year!

Anonymous said...

Ever been to St. Augustine, Florida? Very nice getaway with several bed and breakfast places...not to mention that it's right down the road in the same county as us and we would love to say "hey" in person! You should Google St. Augustine if you're not familiar with it.

I too, must say that I am a little jealous of a get away. Phil and I weren't really able to do much for our 20th anniversary last May because of his job situation. One of these days we're going to be able to get away...I'm trying to be patient.

Anonymous said...

I think I have the right to be mad! Thank you very much!

-Alyssa

Anonymous said...

I came back to type Savannah, GA also as another thought but apparantly Caren beat me to it!

Alyssa, Praying for you and for God's will in whatever happens. Maybe a break from dancing will improve you all the more. You are so talented that I know you will catch back up in no time!

Liz said...

Lyssa -

No rights until you're 18;) HaHa!! Just kidding. Good luck with the bone scan, and I can't wait to see you in a few weeks! I'm sure you'll be back to dancing before I get there.

Love you-
Aunt Liz

Anonymous said...

Sharon, South Padre Island is very nice, if you want a beach that is not too far away. Southwest Airlines flies into Harlingen and it is not a long drive to the island. Also, if you want mountains, there is always New Mexico. Very pretty. Other friends have said that Cloud Croft and Red River are really nice. Hope something works out for you. And "Welcome Home!" to Kevin!

Love,
Audrey