Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Money Saver: Breakfast foods

It's very tempting to just stock eggos and cereal at my house for the kids to have for breakfast, but not very economical or healthy. One of the biggest ways I've cut down on my grocery budget has been to make as many items from scratch as possible. The challenge is time for most of us, but I've found a way to make baking and cooking part of my schedule without too much adjustment.

Basically, on the mornings when I have a little extra time, I cook breakfast and make double or triple the amount we really need. Then on our busy mornings, we just pull something from the freezer and pop it into the microwave. You'll eventually build a stash in your freezer and only need to make something a couple of times a week.

This works great with pancakes (with or without chocolate chips!), waffles, breakfast burritos, and any type of muffin. You can click on the foods to link to the recipes on my new favorite recipe site, Recipezaar. I especially like having muffins on hand. Kevin likes to take them to work and the kids will snack on them in the afternoons. Their favorite is these chocolate chip muffins. They never make it to the freezer!

Helpful Hint: to freeze pancakes, waffles, french toast, etc., place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer for approx. 1 hour. Then place in a ziploc freezer bag. This keeps them from sticking together and it's easy to pull out just what you need.

2 comments:

Cassandra Raney said...

Love the hint to freezing pancakes and such... great idea! Time is an issue for us too so making larger batches might work. Thanks for the tips!

Anonymous said...

This sounds great for my next life time. just kidding, I think I might try some of your recipes. Like the new site tip.