Saturday, December 6, 2008

Money Saver: Grocery Budget

Sometime last June, I realized that we were spending the equivalent of about $300 a week on our grocery budget. At our house, this includes everything to keep our tummies full, our clothes clean, our bodies smelling good, and our house sanitary. The cost of food was escalating, combined with all the special diets around our house (2 with allergies, me-a diabetic), had made our food expenses astronomical. I was determined to bring it down as much as possible even if it meant spending a couple of hours clipping coupons every week.

I began by reading lots of articles at Money Saving Mom on combining coupons with sales, how to get stuff for free at stores like Walgreens and CVS, and how to find coupons on the internet which are usually worth more than the typical Sunday paper coupons.

Gradually, I was able to drop to down to $150 to $200 per week. I've also stockpiled enough soap, shampoo, toothpaste and cleaning products that I only buy these when they are on sale and I have a coupon, usually getting them for free. With 6 people that need to wash and deodorize on a daily basis, this was a huge expense for us. Sometimes I would spend $50-$60 at one time at Walmart just buying health and beauty products, but not anymore!

My current goal is to get down to $100-150. Gayle at The Grocery Cart Challenge feeds her family of 6 for $60 a week and she posts her menus with links to the recipes each week. I don't think we'll ever get quite that low thanks to our special diets, but I'm going to keep trying! I'll keep you posted on our progress. Now go save some money!

2 comments:

Traci @ The Bakery said...

HI! I found your blog through feedjit....

Don't you love the Walgreen's deals? I guess it is my "drug"...seeing what kind of deals I can get. It amazes me how people think it is such a hassle to do this....when there are so many places online that practically do it for you....

Great blog!!!

Sharon said...

Welcome Traci! Yes I just love the feeling of walking in the door with several bags of stuff from Walgreens and then informing my husband that it cost either nothing or just a few dollars.