Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Get cookin': Fettucine Alfredo

In the past few weeks, I've had several conversations with moms who admit they don't cook....at all! It seems to be more and more common for us to feed our families out of the frozen food section. This is not only ridiculously expensive but also incredibly unhealthy. In order to inspire you to cook for your families, I'm going to start posting some of my quick and easy recipes.

Today I made fettuccine alfredo for lunch. We have enough leftovers that we'll eat it for the next several days for a total cost of around $3.

Sauce:
8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 c. butter
3/4 c. Parmesan cheese
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. olive oil
minced garlic or garlic powder
salt to taste
1 tsp. parsley (opt.)

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan on low heat until melted. Stir into cooked pasta and you're done!

Options:
The amounts above are enough for 8 oz. pasta. I add 1/2 c. chicken broth to make it enough for 16 oz. pasta, making my food budget go a little further.

Add grilled or baked chicken or imitation crab meat for variety and some extra protein.

Worried about fat? Use fat free cream cheese, skim milk, and you can eliminate the butter and increase the olive oil to 1/2 cup.

Now get cookin' and let me know how your family likes it!

No comments: