Saturday, October 18, 2008

Last day in Cambodia

From Kevin:

Yesterday was a lot of fun.... We went to the orphanage and spent the entire afternoon teaching and playing with the kids. There must have been over 150 kids there. We taught them Bible stories, songs, played jump rope etc... I even got the opportunity to teach the men that were there how to throw a football. It might seem strange that they have never thrown a football, but if you saw where and how they lived you would understand. In just a few minutes, we had a pretty good game of pass going on in the yard of the orphanage. I was thinking this morning about all the things that I worry about, get upset about that right now seem very petty and silly. These people would love to have the problems that we face on a daily basis. They would trade with us in a heart beat. For example, yesterday, we were playing in the yard and a little girl scraped her leg. It started to bleed a little, so we pulled out our handy dandy first aid kit and were about to help her. My friend Henry reminded us that a lot of those children have AIDS, and we need to put on gloves before we help her. When was the last time you ran inside to put on gloves before you put a bandaid on your child's scrape. Wow! I just pray that the Lord would use me in some way to bring a smile to some faces and introduce these people to the truth of the Lord Jesus Christ!

Today, is my last day here. It is Sunday morning. This morning people from all over the area will gather on the orphanage grounds for worship. Many of these people are believers and hopefully many new believers will be there as well. I will be talking to them this morning about the importance of prayer. Most of these people used to be Buddhist and some Hindu. They have been taught all of their lives that they need to go to a temple or somewhere special to pray. Now, that they know Jesus, I am going to teach how to live a life of praying without ceasing everywhere you go. I will be using the ACTS model of prayer. Please pray for me that the Lord would use my words and the words of my translator to sink the truth into their hearts. Now, I am sure the devil is not going to let this happen without a struggle, so please pray that nothing will stop the preaching of the Word!

After the service, I will be leading the new believers into the river to be baptized. Please pray that no alligators or snakes or anything else would be there to be baptized as well. (Can you tell I have watched too many movies????). People tease me sometimes for being a country boy from South Arkansas, but you know, all the times that I went hunting with my dad as a little kid has prepared me for missions. Many of the little lessons my dad taught me hunting about staying safe in the woods and watching and thinking ahead are being used every time I go on a mission trip. Thanks POP!

No comments: