Monday, October 6, 2008

Monday night football--Not the NFL


We are 2 games away from the end of Zac's first football season. I'll admit there are lots of activities that I have been to that involved my kids, only because they involved my kids and it's my parental duty to be there. But, I have loved going to all of Zac's football games. Part of that enjoyment results from the fact that I actually understand the game thanks to two events in my life:

1)Coach Burson's 7th grade PE class--He made us learn the ref. calls and signals and all the rules of the game. And because I've always been the studious type (aka nerdy) and wanted to make A's in all my classes, I learned them all, although pass interference still confuses me to this day; no matter how many times my patient husband explains it to me.

2)My entire dating relationship with Kevin and our first year of marriage revolved around him playing football where I was welcomed to the world of hang time and punt averages and national rankings and waiting outside the locker room after the games where the smell of sweaty football players permeated the air.

Now, I get to wait outside the locker room in my minivan and pickup the football practice carpool so the smell of sweaty football players permeates my van. Sometimes we ride home with the windows down and then I spray lots of febreeze.

These pictures were taken at the beginning of the season when Zac was trying out the running back position. Recently, he's been playing safety. I don't really care if they win or lose. I just love sitting in the bleachers, enjoying the cool fall weather. After tonight's game, Kate and Nate decided it was cool enough we needed to have hot chocolate after we got home. Then Nate said, "Mom, we need to stock up on marshmallows for the winter." Which brought to mind the question: When did we turn into squirrels?

No comments: