Monday, February 4, 2008

Round trip to Nowhere

I drove 5 hours today and went nowhere. Okay, I went somewhere, but came right back. Alyssa's friend, Caitlin, came for the weekend to join her at a youth retreat; so today I had to drive 2 1/2 hours south to meet her dad and give her back. Before we left town, we decided Caitlin needed to experience our new discovery--Merritt's Bakery. Oh I knew it was there, had heard it was wonderful, but was trying to avoid actual knowledge of how wonderful so I wouldn't face glaring temptation every time I drove by it which is several times a day since it's just around the corner from my neighborhood. This is the kind of place that is a little taste of heaven, a place that can make you break every new year's resolution you've made or will make in the past and future decades, a place that can probably make you gain weight just by sniffing the aromas. I bought Alyssa's birthday cake there (see birthday post below) and we discovered the cinnamon rolls....

Alyssa is eating a fried cinnamon roll covered with chocolate and pecans. She's very serious about this cinnamon roll and daring me not to touch it.

Look at the size of these things!

Katie had the regular fried cinnamon roll. It's almost as big as her face and all for the bargain price of $1.30!

The trip down was quite entertaining. We listened to Alyssa's Itunes downloads which is an interesting conglomeration (is that a word?)of Journey, Carrie Underwood, and Corinne Bailey Rae and tracts from movies like 'Music and Lyrics'. There was also an exciting game of Catch Phrase where I overheard fax machines and checks being referred to as old fashioned. We met Caitlin's dad at Mickey D's, because all small towns have one. Why is that? Can someone please tell me? Why does every person who wants to buy a franchise in a small town pick McDonald's? If you can explain this strange phenomenon to me, please do. Anyway, the drive back was uneventful and seemed longer than the way down although I know that's impossible, but I did get to look at this cutie in my rear view mirror while I was driving. And don't ask how this picture was taken because you don't want to know.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

I thought people always put a Dairy Queen in small towns. It seems like they all have one. If they've moved up to a McDonalds then they are a happenin' small town! If all they have is a Dairy Maid...well just keep driving...it's not worth it!

Anonymous said...

This town we went to had a Dairy queen right across the street from the Mcdonalds!

Sharon said...

I didn't even notice the DQ. I think which one a town has depends on the state. Seems like TX always has DQ and OK and AR always have McDonalds. And have you ever been to a DQ that was clean? With the exception of one in Magnolia, I never have.

dlyn said...

Those are some insane looking cinnamon rolls - glad that place is nowhere near me!