Sunday, February 17, 2008

Word of the Day

I love words! I love learning new ones and writing with them and reading them. I was the nerdy kid in high school English who actually learned all the vocabulary words and used them in a sentence 7 times that week so they became part of my normal speech. I had to set up my homepage again recently thanks to some updates at Yahoo. (Don't they know I hate change and want everything to stay the same? I beg you techies to leave my home page alone!) I saw an option to add 'Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day'. Oh, my little brain cells, ready to learn new words, could not resist. (Maybe a little change is good?)

To my dismay, these words have been featured over the last few weeks: albeit, beholden, prudent, audition, brusque, conciliate, glean, whodunit---Are you kidding me? Is the general population really unfamiliar with these words or are the college interns choosing the word of the day just trying to make us feel smarter than we really are? I hope it is the latter, because if it is the first option then this country is worse off than I thought.

My choice to add the 'Word of the Day' feature on my home page has not been completely unrewarded. I love to read the word, then guess what the meaning is before looking at the actual definition. And because I want you to be enlightened and rewarded for your time spent here on my blog, I'm going to teach you three new words today.

Immutable--I guessed this meant Nathan (the kid who can't stop talking) during all of his waking hours, but it means unsusceptible to change so it describes me instead!

Afflatus--should describe what my hair looks like all the time since moving to windy Oklahoma, but it is a divine imparting of knowledge--what I am trying to do for you today.

Pogonip--a dense winter fog with frozen particles; We've been having a lot of pogonip in OK lately, but I sure thought it was the sound a pogo stick makes. (Just for you Catherine: Nathan asked for a pobo stick for Christmas a couple of years ago.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All of the sudden I'm feeling deprived that I've never had a pobo stick!