Sunday, July 13, 2008

Blissful and Pathetic, simultaneously

I am having a blissful afternoon which is either wonderful or depressing, I can't decide. We had a great time of worship this morning at church. Kevin didn't go with us since he is technically on vacation. If you've ever worked for a church you know it is virtually impossible just to go to church and not get trapped into working. Don't worry, he didn't skip completely; he went to a church plant about 30 miles away that our church started. So, in a way, he was still working by checking on our church plant, but most people there don't know who he is so they wouldn't ask him to do anything anyway.

After all that unnecessary explaining about our morning, I can tell you about my perfect Sunday afternoon. I love sitting on the couch with the newspaper and my coupon box, trying to figure out which items I can get for free or almost free at Walgreens and Target. Getting toothpaste and cereal for free from unsuspecting retailers just warms my little Proverbs 31 heart. While I look for bargains, I like to watch a movie, preferably one I've seen before so I don't have to give it my undivided attention, just in case I feel the need to squeeze in a little nap. Today, it was The Majestic followed by Gilmore Girls season 4. While I am enjoying my afternoon, I wonder how pathetic it is to be entertained by pinching pennies and watching Rory for the thousandth time. But then, I remember in 4 more days I'll be strolling the streets of Manhattan, shopping at Tiffany's and seeing a Broadway show. My life's not so pathetic afterall!

No comments: